Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What you have learned about action research and how you might be able to use it...(Week One part 2)

Through my readings, it is evident that action research and traditional research hold a distinct comparison with one another. Action research is research that involves active participants collecting and analyzing data to reflect upon and create change. This type of research is much different from those of traditional research, which only involves individuals observing and collecting data to go back and write about it. The application that is associated with action research is beneficial because it is ongoing and is constantly being reflected upon. You don't really realize that as an educator you use this type of research in the classroom from day to day as you work closely with children in guided reading groups and even teaching lessons. I know in my classroom I am constantly reflecting and changing things so that the instruction is more effective and something the students can relate to.


I could use this particular type of research on my campus and in my classroom now that I am aware of what it is that I'm doing. One topic that I would like to research is the teaching methods that work best for students in the classroom. Sometimes one teaching style doesn't work for each student and it's not always the same student for each lesson. I would like to closely examine ways to improve my instruction in this way. Not only would I like to improve my instructional approach but as well as improving my effective communication skills with my colleagues. This skill I believe is crucial to mastering in the education of students.

1 comment:

  1. Stacy,
    I have had the same thoughts on using action research in the classroom. I think action research is why people and teachers become successful. If we aren't always wondering and questioning how to do something better, we won't be better. This is probably a life long activity for us as humans and teachers.

    ReplyDelete